City of Rozel
Check out our website: http://www.rozelcity.org
The original townsite was deeded to the Arkansas Vally Town and Land Company by the railroad on July 19, 1886. The name Rozel was selected in honor of a daughter of one of the founders of the Land Company, whose name was Rozella.
A Methodist church was built in 1905; replaced by a new building in January of 1965, and dedicated on April 23, 1972. The Baptist chuch was built in 1916.
The first post office was in 1870 and known as Keysville. The 1880 the name was changed to Ben Wade to honor a Civil war lawyer.
Rozel has survived two disastrous fires, a tornado and numerous floods. Nearly all the business district was destroyed by fire on September 24, 1929. On May 20, 1949, a tornado and hailstorm severely damaged or destroyed nearly every buiding in town. The town rebuilt to the community that stands today.
Rozel offers two parks with children play areas and a baseball field, and picnic
Rozel Area Businesses
(If you would like to have your business added to the list,
Prominent People of Rozel:
Lauren E. Arnold - and his descendants have owned Land and farmed In the Rozel trade territory since 1892. Lauren was one of the pioneer Kansas families.
Elmer Arnold – son of Lauren, was a highly visible promoter of the Rozel community and the agriculture of Pawnee County.
Sanford A. Arnold – a civil war veteran enlisting at the age of 17 with Company F of the Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Sanford married Margaret Swihart and upon discharge bought a quarter of land in Pawnee County in March 1876.
Frank and Flora (Tuttle) Arnold – former residents of Hanover and New Haven Ohio.
Fred and Christina (Reidl) Balman - Fred served on several boards including the Union Co-op Elevator. Christina, an avid quilter had made or quilted over 600 quilts.
Glenn and Viola (Spreir) Balman – owned and operated the local grocery store fostering many children. Glenn’s grandsire was originally from England where he and his family moved to Pawnee County that eventually included up to eight children on of which is John E. Balman, Glenn’s father.
John Weber and Marie (Hall) Balman - helped organized the Rozel Baptist Church and were charter members. John though farmed in other areas started farming in Rozel area in 1916 until retiring in 1942.
John E. and Martha Lee (Evens) Balman - The Balman and Evans families had known each other for many years in Missouri farming since the 1870s
Robert F. Barnes – managed the Bunge elevator until 1977.
Oscar Beale - came to Rozel as a carpenter building many of the homes that are occupied today.
Walter and Charlotte Becker – Walter helped organize the Golden Belt Telephone Association. He was also a director of Central Kansas Electric Cooperative (C.K.E.C.), later Midwest Energy.
Sam and Nadine Beckwiths – long time residents moved into the Baptist parsonage in 1963.